Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Home

They always say Home is Where Your Heart is. But what if a piece of your heart is missing? I have discovered in the last two months that Home is not necessarily a place, its a feeling you have in your heart. For me its the warm cozy feeling I have when I think of my family, when I picture my Mom's face in my memories. Its remembering baking cookies on stormy afternoons with my Grandma.

It's coming home with the hemline of my pants soaking wet from the rain and finding a towel left on the dryer for me by my college roommates. Its putting on jeans and rain boots and my bright red rain coat and sloshing through the puddles like a little girl once I made it back to campus for the afternoon.

Its arriving home at almost 10pm the night before Thanksgiving, after having driven in the pouring down rain with windshield wipers that need replacing to find my Momma and little brother waiting for me.

Its moving into your first apartment with your new husband and decorating it just so. Its making him dinner that you might not even eat yourself because you know he will love it.

Home is all of these things. Home is not just a place, its all of the memories you have connected to that place. The things that bring you back to that warm cozy place without having to actually be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment