So I finally made a big step in what will probably be a long journey. I have decided to have some genetic testing done to see if I have a gene mutation that can cause breast cancer. My Mom had the testing done after she had cancer but did not have the gene mutation. I don't know if knowing or not will make me feel better, but I know that it will give me a starting point on where I want to go from here and what I will want to do. I plan on eventually having an elective double mastectomy with reconstruction so that I can reduce my risk of even developing the disease. I know a lot of people, including some of my family members, think that my decision is rash. That if I just wait it out and am closely followed if I do develop cancer I can have it treated quickly. I would rather just reduce my risk all together because I know in my heart if I don't I will get cancer. I don't want to have to face that if I can help it.
I plan to document the process I go through during testing so that I can look back on it later.
I'll be here for you every step of the way love!
ReplyDeleteThanks S I appericate it!
ReplyDeleteSeriously me too. The biggest step is making the actual appointment to get tested.
ReplyDeleteIf you need anything, let me know. I've been through it. It's crazy. But either way, you won't live in the land of "what if" anymore.
Wow, that is a huge step and I am so glad for you to have begun your journey.
ReplyDelete